
By Annabeth Miller,[be]ShowMe Times Editor
Bare pantry shelves are a serious problem for a family.
But bare pantry shelves at the mission in town are a serious problem for a community.
The shelves at the Stoddard County Rescue Mission are running spare these days, and the food is not on hand to meet an ever-growing need.
So a group of folks in the Dexter community have decided to take action and a difference for the Mission and the community. In response to the plea for food donations, a community food drive to benefit the mission is being planned.
“Local churches and groups will be collecting canned good and non-perishable items now until the end of March,” said Loretta Reid of the First United Methodist Church.
The goal – to bring together the community’s donations and “stuff” four trucks with food for the mission on Saturday, March 31. Donations received that day will all be given to the Stoddard County Rescue Mission, Reid said
Trucks will be at four difference locations on March 31 to collect canned goods:
- Harp’s Food Store, 4 South Catalpa
- Town and Country Super Market, 707 Specialty Drive
- USA Drive Store, Business Highway 60 and One Mile Road
- Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2025 West Business 60
A number of churches and groups have joined in the effort to fill the trucks with items for the Mission’s pantry;
- Sweet Prospect Baptist Church
- Quick Cash Loans
- First Christian Church, D.O.C.
- First Baptist Church (Sunday School class)
- First United Methodist Church
Other churches or groups that would like to join the effort may contact Reid at 62-5769 or FUMC at 624-3344 or additional information.

By Annabeth Miller,
ShowMe Times Editor
The Dexter Board of Aldermen gave its approval Monday evening to working with a cellular telephone company on the installation of a new cell tower in the city.
City Administrator Mark Stidham reported to the board that he and City Attorney Bud Lawrence had met and reviewed the contract between the city and T-Mobile on the cell company’s lease for the installation of a tower on the city water tower on Elder Drive.
“We’ve just about got all the bugs worked out of it,” Stidham reported.
Under the proposed agreement, T-Mobile will install a tower on the “Elder water tower” for $1,100 per month with an increase of a two percent increase on an automatic renewal. Stidham asked the board for its permission to proceed with work with T-Mobile.
An ordinance permitting the cell tower on city property will be presented in the near future.
“This will be much like the one we have at the (West) Park,” Stidham said. Water Supt. Tom Espey reported he had already met with officials from the cell company.
“It’ll pay the maintenance on the tower – the painting” Stidham said.
On a motion by Ward II Alderman Tim Aslin and seconded by Ward III Alderman Kirby Taylor was unanimously approved.
Keller Public Library Director Pam Trammell reported that the Friends of the Library Fashion Show on March 12 was a successful event and thanked local merchants for their support.
Street Supt. Jeff Myers reported the company working with the city on water drainage downtown – Digital Sewer – met with city officials on Monday and the firm will arrive next month for the next phase of the project.
Workers with Digital Sewer will arrive back in the city on April 9, Myers reported. Workers will need to clean what little debris has settle in the system since it was cleaned, and take measurement for the liners that will be installed.
“They will be here and start our project uptown on April 16,” he said. “What they’ve already done has helped a lot. But this will just reinforce the really bad spots.”
He said the city crews have started doing some work that coincides with the work that will be done by the digital firm.
In other business Monday evening, the board
- Received the monthly report for February 2012 from City Auditor Eddie Cato;
- Learned from Library Director Trammell that checkouts from the Keller Public Library are up 10 percent and the Summer Reading Program will begin June 13
- Approved a Package Liquor License and a Sunday Sales License for Break Time, which will open at the Intersection of Business Highway 60 and Catalpa Street.
Photo Above: Water Supt. Tom Espey, Park And Recreation Supt. Lawson Metcalf, and Streets and Sanitation Supt. Jeff Myers listen to the aldermanic debate during Monday's meeting of the Dexter Board of Aldermen. (SMT photo by Annabeth Miller)

By Annabeth Miller,
ShowMe Times Editor
NEW MADRID - In the early part of 1862, the Union General John Pope was one the move.
The West Point graduate and career Army officer had been summoned on Feb. 14 and given orders to capture a small town and river island in Southeast Missouri. So Pope and his troops headed south from St. Louis, reaching Commerce by Feb, 21. But their ultimate destination wasn’t Commerce – but New Madrid and Island No. 10.
On March 10, Pope began a siege on the Bootheel community that would last until the Confederates surrendered on April 8. Pope and his officers occupied for his heaquarters what was certainly one of the most elegant homes in New Madrid and the Bootheel – the home of Amanda Hunter and her seven children.
The city was once again “invaded” by Union troops, to mark the 150th anniversary of the siege. Re-enactors portrayed Company C of the 47th Illinois Infantry, who served as Pope’s escort company. The re-enactment event was held March 10-11.
After a hearty breakfast on Saturday morning, most of the troops were on a march around New Madrid – looking for Confederates. And almost-empty camp was left behind – with morning fires left banked to take the edge off the morning chill.
Left behind was one private – who said he was the “oldest, fattest private in the Union Army.” But he was chatty, and helped explain the encampment – and the equipment carried everyday by enlisted men.
“It got cold out here last night – I didn’t sleep real good. But one of the men did say he heard me snore,” he explained.
Taste Of History
Steve and Becky LaBarre were busy throughout the morning. Having prepared a hearty breakfast for the 35 or so soldiers that morning, they turned right around and began preparation for the noon meal. Actually, LaBarre said there would be two noon meals to prepare.
“We prepare one meal for the enlisted men, and something else for the officers,” he explained while turning beefsteak in cast iron skillets over the wood fire. That day he was preparing a beef stew for the enlisted men, and steak with root vegetables for the officers.
“The root vegetables would have come out of cellars here,” he explained. The troops would have procured what was needed – vegetables, seasonings, a cow that would have been butchered – from the local residents. Steel pots hung over the low burning fire with the stew and the vegetables for the officer’s meal. Coffee pot sat to the side of the fire.
Becky showed her kitchen and explained the recipes they used throughout the weekend were from the 1860s. She had a big wooden bowl, filled with thick slices of fresh baked bread. Pickles were in blue canning jars, spices in pots and containers.
For instance, the beefsteak Steve was preparing had been rubbed in a dry mustard and fried in the cast iron skillets; a gravy was made using the drippings and coffee, and a garnish was made from English walnuts marinated in sweet pickle juice. All of this was served surrounded by potatoes, parsnips, onions and carrots.
Enlisted men ate from the mess kits; officers had the fine bone china that would have been taken from the Hunter-Dawson home.
Throughout the day the re-enactors drilled and had inspections, and even arrested a few local Confederate sympathizers.
Hunter-Dawson Home
Next door, tours were given of the Hunter-Dawson home. The home was built by William and Amanda Hunter, a Virginian who moved to the area in 1830, became a successful businessman and acquired a large section of land north of the town.
The Hunter-Dawson house is a two-story, 15-room frame structure of an eclectic style with Georgian, Greek Revival and Italianate influences. The lumber used in the house is yellow cypress, which s came from a nearby sawmill owned by Hunter. The labor during construction was furnished by Hunter's own slaves and by area craftsmen.
The home has a basement, and family tradition says that some local Confederate soldiers, injured in skirmishes before Pope occupied the home, hid in the basement. Local ladies slipped the men food and medical supplies by hiding them under their skirts. The ladies would stroll the grounds, stand at the basement windows, and the men would reach under the full skirts for the needed supplies!
William never lived in the home; he died from yellow fever in 1859. Portraits of William and Amanda hang in the parlor.
Amanda and William’s descendants gave the home and the furnishings for a state historic site in 1966. The home is grand – with 15 rooms, nine fireplaces, and furnishings.
In observance of the 150th anniversary of the War Between The States, this report is part of periodic series on Civil War sites in our region.
Sites Of Interest
ShowMe Times Photo Gallery
ShowMe Times Photos by Annabeth Miller


By Annabeth Miller,
ShowMe Times Editor
They played some terrific volleyball on the court, and off the court the young ladies of the volleyball teams at T.S. Hill Middle School were pretty terrific, too!
The seventh and eighth grade teams at the school held a scrimmage Tuesday evening. But not only did the young athletes have services, spikes and set-ups on their minds, but also about helping others.
As part of the evening, fans were encouraged to bring at least one non-perishable food item to be donated to the Stoddard County Rescue Mission. As fans entered the school, Principal Scott Kruse’s pickup truck was parked near the front door for fans to place their donations.
And the teams’ fans showed their support – not only in attending the scrimmage but in helping collected food for the mission. All-in-all, the effort was a success.
As they climb up on top of the canned goods in Kruse’s truck Tuesday evening, the young ladies were enthused by the result of the evening’s food drive. They proudly showed off the cans collected.
The teams are led by Head Coach Melissa Hahn and assistant Kara Lummukka.
“We had three cart LOADS delivered today to the Mission! Great time,” Kruse said Wednesday morning.
A great accomplishment – helping meet a real need right now in the community! Thanks, Middle School Lady Bearcats!